By Suzy Lins
April 19, 2023
Moving to a new place can be a stressful experience for your clients, but with proper planning and organization, you can help them minimize the stress and make the process smoother. Here are some tips to offer your clients for a stress-free move:
- Create a plan: Before they start packing, help them create a plan for their move. Help them make a checklist of everything they need to do, including hiring a moving company, packing, and changing their address. Even better would be to create a checklist to include in your listing agreement.
- Declutter: Before they start packing, suggest they go through their belongings and get rid of anything they don’t need or want anymore. This will save them time and money in the long run. Have recommendations of organizations in your area where they can donate items they don’t need.
- Packing Prep: Suggest they start collecting boxes early on to use for packing. If you have clients who have recently moved, ask them if their boxes can be reused by another client.
- Pack smart: Guide them to use sturdy boxes and packing materials, like bubble wrap, blankets or towels, to ensure their belongings are protected during the move. Suggest they put heavier items, such as books, into suitcases with wheels. Label each box with its contents and which room it belongs in. Using color coded labels for room destinations is a time saver when unpacking the moving truck.
- Hire a reputable moving company: Help them find a moving company with a good reputation. Have a few reputable moving companies you can recommend. Otherwise, encourage them to read reviews and ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Stay organized: Advise them to keep important documents and items, such as passports and birth certificates, in a separate box or folder that they carry with them during the move.
- Take breaks: Moving can be physically and emotionally exhausting. Suggest they take breaks, stay hydrated, and eat healthy snacks to keep their energy levels up. Dropping off water and snacks for them the day before the move is a nice touch.
- Stay positive: Moving can be a new and exciting adventure. Remind them to focus on the positive aspects of their move and the new opportunities that await them.
By following these tips, your clients can reduce stress and have a more enjoyable moving experience.
About the author: Suzy Lins is the Communications Director for CENTURY 21 Discovery and a Business Etiquette Consultant. For more information about CENTURY 21 Discovery you may call (714) 626-2000.